Looking for a fresh, spring meal full of flavor, healthy veggies, and lean protein? Look no further!
This recipe is a great option for anyone– but especially people following a gluten free or dairy free diet. It’s also easy to make it vegetarian or vegan- just switch out the Mahi Mahi for tempeh.
Mahi Mahi Plated Taco
Time: 30-35 minutes
- 4 mahi mahi fillets (can also use shrimp)
- 1 tbsp low sodium taco seasoning (or make your own— it’s super easy!)
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 head red cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Optional: 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved; Avocado Garlic Aioli (recipe below), Mango Salsa, brown or cauliflower Rice
?Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Season/sprinkle mahi mahi fillets with taco seasoning to taste (feel free to use more or less than 1 tbsp based on your preferences) and arrange on a nonstick baking tray.
?In a large bowl, combine chopped kale and red cabbage with onion and jalapeno. Add avocado and salt/pepper to taste until vegetables are lightly coated. Transfer ingredients to larger tray.
?Bake both trays for 22-25 minutes, or until fish is cooked through and vegetables are lightly crisp.
?Serve with halved cherry tomatoes, garlic aioli, mango salsa, and a side of rice or cauliflower riced (I mixed the two here!)
Garlic Avocado Aioli
Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Time: 5-10 minutes
- 1 medium avocado, pitted
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4th cup plain coconut yogurt (can sub plain greek yogurt if not dairy free)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ lime, juiced or 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- Sea salt
Combine ingredients in bowl and mix with an immersion blender. If using a food processor or Ninja Blender, add oil gradually while ingredients emulsify.
Kait Richardson is a registered dietitian nutritionist in Orlando, FL. She is a partner at a private practice, Nutrition Awareness, where she helps frustrated yo-yo dieters reach their health goals using 1:1 nutrition coaching. She is the co-host of the Nutrition Awareness Podcast.