Recipe by Maddie Minetree, winner of the 7 Ingredient Challenge
This Black Bean and Butternut Squash Enchiladas recipe was the winner of our #7ingredientchallenge, where we asked our IG followers to come up with a healthy recipe that included black beans, used pantry staples, and had 7 ingredients or less. The people voted on which recipe they wanted to see featured on the blog and these lil enchis beat out some stiff competition.
This recipe is perfect for quarantine because most of the ingredients are shelf stable. They also come in handy if you’re having a hard time finding meat right now! Keep in mind these enchiladas are full of fiber and HARDY, so you won’t miss the meat. If you’ve never bought butternut squash before, you can usually find it already chopped in the produce section in Trader Joes or Publix. Or if you want to get wild, buy a whole one, grab a sharp knife and follow the step-by-step directions here.
If you can’t find butternut squash, swap it out for sweet potatoes.
After eating just one of these, I’m honestly mad I didn’t double the batch!
Black Bean and Butternut Squash Enchiladas
- 2 and 1/2 cups butternut squash, cubed in 1/2 inch squares (can sub sweet potatoes!)
- One 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 10-oz can Rotel (or any canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 medium whole wheat tortillas
- One 10-oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese
- Optional toppings: cilantro, sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and drizzle olive oil in pan. Add squash and sauté until soft (5-10 minutes depending on desired firmness).
- Add Rotel, beans, and taco seasoning. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce at the bottom of a large baking dish. Place about 1/2 cup of the bean and squash mixture in each tortilla, roll it, and place it in pan seam side down.
- Cover with remaining enchilada sauce then top with cheese. Bake for 10- 15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.