This is probably my most re-used recipe of all time. For years, I was just telling my clients how to throw together these make ahead frozen breakfast burritos when they needed a quick savory breakfast idea. Everyone loved them and created their own versions and I realized I needed to actually post my “recipe” to refer to instead of always trying to explain it!
I love Sweet Earth’s frozen breakfast burritos, but I can’t always count on my local grocery store to carry them. Having something in the freezer that can be ready in 2 minutes AND eaten in the car on the way to work is clutch on those busy mornings. For me, a protein bar just doesn’t cut it. I’ll be hungry again in 10 minutes!
I’ve made these burritos many different ways: with beans or without; with onions and peppers; with different cheeses like feta or gouda; adding hot sauce, spicy ground sausage, or roasted potatoes… the combos are endless and you can personalize until you find your favorite. Sometimes I’ll make different combos and not label them so I get a “surprise” in the morning.
Make Ahead Frozen Breakfast Burritos Recipe
Makes 8 burritos
Total time: 45 minutes
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 cups pinto or black beans (rinsed and drained if canned) OR use 2 cups of our Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans
- 1 pack of 8 whole grain or sprouted grain large tortillas
1. Heat a large pan over low to medium heat. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and salsa.
2. Add eggs to pan and scramble, continuously stirring to create fluffy eggs. Cooking your eggs low and slow and keeping them moving is the secret to keeping your eggs from getting hard.
3. Once your eggs start to solidify, sprinkle in cheese and mix in beans. Once the eggs are done your your liking and cheese is somewhat melted, remove from the heat and place in a large bowl to let cool on the counter or in the refrigerator. Cooling your eggs helps to keep your burritos from getting soggy when you reheat them.
4. Once your eggs are cooled (they don’t need to be cold, just not piping hot), using the same pan over medium heat, place one tortilla in the pan and warm for 15 seconds on each side, just enough to soften it up for folding.
5. Remove the tortilla from the pan and place on a plate. Add your egg and bean mix to the tortilla and fold into a burrito. Wrap the burrito in foil, label, and store in the freezer.
6. When you are ready to reheat, microwave for one minute on each side.
Now you’ve got 8 delicious breakfasts ready to go at a moments notice! If you like our savory breakfast recipes, try our Spinach and Feta Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust and Baked Eggs with Roasted Tomatoes and Potatoes.