I adapted this simple recipe from one of my very favorite cookbooks, Forks Over Knives. It’s full of over 300 plant-based whole food recipes and follows one of my favorite theories about food:
I love the flavors of Thai food, but I’m not expert on cooking the cuisine. This recipe requires no prior experience cooking Thai so don’t be intimidated. You’ve got to browse the aisles of the grocery until your find red Thai chile paste then you’re good to go.
Red Thai Chili Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves at least 4
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons Thai red chili paste
- 12 ounce bag frozen vegetable stir-fry
- 4 oz can water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos (can sub. low sodium soy sauce)
- One 14 oz can lite coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock or broth
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high and add onion. Sauté until tender and add garlic, ginger, chili paste, lime zest and juice and serrano chile and saute for one minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cook an additional 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- Serve topped with cilantro.