This one, my friends, is a winner if there ever was one. Super healthy and super tasty, a great combo of plant-based proteins and complex carbs with a boost of antioxidants on top.
Best Ever Black Bean Burgers
Serves 4 in 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- handful of cilantro
- 3 tablespoons of diced onion
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Mix chia seeds with 2 tablespoons water and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, add all ingredients except flour and olive oil to food processor. Stir the chia seed mix and add to food processor. Pulse until well combined.
2. Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Remove bean mix from food processor and place in a large bowl. Mix in flour and olive oil and form 4 patties. Cook about 5 minutes on each side until slightly crisp on the outside and warm on the inside.
Serving recommendation. Toast whole grain buns and serve topped with Chipotle Mango Guacamole (recipe below).
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, chopped with most seeds removed
- 1 avocado, diced
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 mango, diced small
1. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil to medium heat and stir in 1/2 the diced tomatoes and all of the onion and chiles. Cook 5-10 minutes until onion and chiles are softened. Remove mixture from heat. Place in a medium bowl and allow to cool.
2. Add the avocado, lime juice and mango and stir.
About the author: Megan Poczekaj, RDN, LD, is a registered dietitian nutritionist in Orlando, FL. She owns the private practice, Nutrition Awareness, where she teaches other entrepreneurs how to maximize their productivity and performance with nutrition. She is the author of the book The Optimized Life: A Nutrition Guide for Entrepreneurs and co-host of the Nutrition Awareness Podcast.