Sick of the same old pasta and marinara? Try this new recipe for a healthy alternative that can feed the whole family (or just you + 4 lunches for the week) for well under $20.
Red Bean, Broccoli and Basil Pasta
Makes 4-5 servings in 25 minutes.
- 3 and 1/2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 slices hearty whole wheat bread
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Shredded Asiago cheese for topping, optional
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray two slices of bread lightly on both sides with nonstick olive oil spray and bake for 4 minutes on each side or until crisp. Cut into chunks for croutons. Cook pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli for the last 5 minutes of cooking to soften. Drain, but keep 3/4 cup of the pasta water. Cover pasta and broccoli to keep warm.
2. In a large bowl combine beans, garlic and oil. Mash about half of the bean mixture then stir in basil and pasta water. Add bean mixture to pasta and stir. Divide among 4-5 plates, topping with croutons and shredded Asiago cheese.
Recipe by Megan Ware, RDN, LD. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist in The Woodlands, TX.