I love breakfast for dinner for becauuuuse:
1) It’s cheap.
2) It’s easy.
3) It’s easy to make for large groups.
4) There’s tons of healthy options.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t ever plan to wake up on a Tuesday morning and make a meal like this before I run out the door. If it takes more than 5 minutes, I’m not having it for breakfast, so that’s another reason why I don’t mind making great “breakfasts” for dinner once in a while.
Breakfast Tacos with a Kick
Prep/cook time: 25 minutes
- Eight 6 inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 5 eggs
- 5 tablespoons salsa (I used Native Texan Medium Green Roasted Salsa)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded pepper jack cheese for topping
- Lime wedges
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Stack tortillas on a plate and cover with damp paper towels. Microwave on high for 40 seconds or until warm and soft. Slide out middle oven rack and drape soft tortillas over two bars of oven rack to form shells with flat bottoms (see photo). Bake about 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove rack and let shells cool.
2. Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and bell pepper and cook until potatoes are lightly browned. Break eggs over potato mixture and add salsa. Break the yolks and cook without stirring until the mixture begins to set. Flip mixture until cooked through. Microwave the beans for 30- 45 seconds.
3. Spoon egg mixture onto tortillas. Top with beans and cheese. Serve with lime wedge.
By Megan Ware, RDN, LD. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist in Dallas, TX.