This simple but elegant seafood dish can be prepared in under 20 minutes. Asparagus season is in full swing and you should start seeing fresh asparagus popping up at your local farmer’s market soon.
Speedy Scallop and Asparagus Saute
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 lb asparagus, chopped diagonally, 2″ pieces
- 1 lb bay scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for 2 minutes then add thyme, lemon zest and asparagus. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes, until asparagus softens.
3. Add lemon juice, white wine, salt and pepper and cook for one more minute. Serve over brown rice and top with juice mixture from the pan.
*There’s no need to ever buy “cooking” wine. My motto is don’t ever cook with a wine you wouldn’t drink.