This one, my friends, is a winner if there ever was one. Super healthy and super tasty, a great combo of plant-based proteins and complex carbs with a boost of antioxidants on top.
Best Ever Black Bean Burgers
Serves 4 in 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- handful of cilantro
- 3 tablespoons of diced onion
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Mix chia seeds with 2 tablespoons water and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, add all ingredients except flour and olive oil to food processor. Stir the chia seed mix and add to food processor. Pulse until well combined.
2. Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Remove bean mix from food processor and place in a large bowl. Mix in flour and olive oil and form 4 patties. Cook about 5 minutes on each side until slightly crisp on the outside and warm on the inside.
Serving recommendation. Toast whole grain buns and serve topped with Chipotle Mango Guacamole (recipe below).
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, chopped with most seeds removed
- 1 avocado, diced
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 mango, diced small
1. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil to medium heat and stir in 1/2 the diced tomatoes and all of the onion and chiles. Cook 5-10 minutes until onion and chiles are softened. Remove mixture from heat. Place in a medium bowl and allow to cool.
2. Add the avocado, lime juice and mango and stir.
Are you looking for a dietitian or nutritionist in Orlando? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule your appointment here. Not in Orlando but still need some nutrition help? We also do online or over the phone consultations.