An amazingly simple and delicious variation on your regular pizza…
Pesto, Pear and Goat Cheese Mini Pizza
- 1 small whole grain pita or pizza crust
- 1-2 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce, or whip up your own
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 5 paper thin slices of a ripe pear
- Dried oregano, to sprinkle
- Fresh parmesan cheese, to sprinkle
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (or according to pita or pizza crust package). Spread the pesto sauce over the pita with the back of a spoon. Top with goat cheese and layer pears overtop. Sprinkle with oregano and parmesan as desired. Bake for 8 minutes or until crust is crispy.
Add some fresh arugula or spinach on top for extra green power (more greens= more nutrients) and switch up the cheese (asiago, fresh mozzarella, gorgonzola, feta…. oh the possibilities!).
*Bonus tip: Involve the kids and let the kids pick their own toppings.
Recipe by Megan Ware, RDN, LD. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist in The Woodlands, TX.